City Cafe, in hopes of refurbishing the historic City Drug sign, submitted an application and was awarded a 2010 Building Improvement Grant. City Cafe operates out of what was the City Drug Store. The store is one of Palatka’s few examples of 1950′s architecture and ornament, even though the actual building dates back to the early 1900′s.
The new sign, although different in some ways, retained the original neon colors and lettering style of the old City Drug sign. The 1950′s flash neons and classic sign shape remained the same, while the lettering now reads “City Cafe”. This sign is one of the first of the remaining neon signs in Downtown Palatka to be redone. Restoration of the historic neon signs for Kiddie Kampus and Angel’s Dining Car are planned.