From 1886 to 1986 the Palatka Water Works could provide up to one
million gallons of water a day to the City of Palatka for local use and
fire protection. When it was closed, the building and grounds fell into
disrepair. In 1999, a grant was acquired to repair the roof and re-point the outside brickwork. With additional donations from many area
businesses, organizations, and individuals, the first phase of
restoration was accomplished in 2002. Since then, the interior of the
building has been re-pointed, an amphitheater and restrooms constructed,
an on-site nature trail developed, a large “water wall” exhibit
installed inside, and a community organic garden has been established
and planted. More is being planned for the future.
photo courtesy of www.floridamemory.com
In 1997 a diverse group of volunteers,
the Water Works Committee, started obtaining grants and donations.
These funds and materials made it possible to survey the archaeology,
restore the building, improve drainage, landscape the grounds, re-roof
the “garden shed”, cap abandoned wells, and build sidewalks and