Palatka FL Homepage

Registration of Foreclosed, Blighted, Unsecured, or Abandoned Structures

Registration of Foreclosed, Blighted, Unsecured, or Abandoned Structures

When a property owner permits their real property to deteriorate into a state of blight, insecurity, or abandonment, as defined in this article, they are required to register the property with the enforcement officer. This obligation arises either after 30 days from the occurrence of the aforementioned conditions or upon receiving official notice from the city or its representative, whichever comes first. Owners or mortgagees are presumed to possess knowledge of the property's vacant/abandoned, blighted, or unsecured status under these circumstances.

The property's registration, submitted on designated forms (found below), should include, at a minimum, the following information provided by the owner:

  •  Description of the property, comprising the address, legal description, and folio number.
  • Contact details of the owner or agents who can be reached within 24 hours, including names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers.
  • Information about all known lien holders and other parties with an ownership interest in the structure, including names, addresses, and contact numbers.
  • A plan and timeline outlining how the structure will be brought into compliance.
  • Written consent by the owner authorizing the city police department to enforce trespassing penalties as outlined in F.S. § 810.08.

The property owner must adhere to all relevant laws and codes, resolving any outstanding City Code violations unless otherwise waived by the appropriate department or agency.

 A plan and timeline described in subsection (b)(4) must be submitted by the owner for approval by the enforcement officer. The enforcement officer will stipulate a reasonable timeframe, not exceeding 90 days, for completing the plan. All repairs, improvements, or alterations to structures must conform to applicable housing and building codes.

The owner must promptly inform the enforcement officer of any changes to the provided registration information. Any revisions or extensions to the plan and timeline require approval from the enforcement officer or the city manager's designee.

Owners of abandoned, vacant, or blighted real property, or unsecured real property, are subject to a registration fee as follows:

Upon the filing of a lis pendens by a mortgage company (attempt to foreclose) or when a blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structure is initially registered with the city, an annual registration fee is due, as outlined below:

$200 for the first year and each subsequent consecutive year the building remains a blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structure.

The initial year's registration fee must be paid in full within 30 days after the structure is registered as a blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structure. Failure to pay within this timeframe may result in prosecution as defined in section 30-197.

The registration fee must be paid in full before any repair or rehabilitation permits are issued, except for demolition permits.

Any delinquent registration fees, along with accrued interest, must be settled by the owner before transferring ownership interest. If these fees are not paid before the transfer, the new owner becomes responsible for all outstanding fees, with payment due within 30 days following the transfer of ownership. Subsequent registration fees will follow the guidelines outlined in this article.

The registration fee is reasonably linked to administrative expenses related to processing registrations and monitoring blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structures. The fee increase accounts for the growing costs associated with identifying, regulating, monitoring, and overseeing deteriorating structures.

The enforcement officer will maintain a file containing information on all registered blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structures, including any details provided by concerned parties or citizens regarding the history, problems, status, or detrimental impact of such structures.

Download the required Foreclosed, Blighted, Unsecured, or Abandoned Structures form by clicking here

  1. Palatka FL Homepage

Contact Us

  1. City of Palatka
    201 N 2nd Street
    Palatka, FL 32177
    Phone: 386-329-0100
    Fax: 386-329-0106
  1. Notices:

    Public Records Custodian Information per Chapter 119, Florida Statutes, the office of the City Clerk serves as the custodian of public records for the City of Palatka, where official records are routinely generated, transmitted, received, and maintained. The following information provides details about the location and contact information for record requests:  Address: 201 N. 2nd Street, Palatka, FL 32177 Phone: (386)329-0100 Email the City Attorney at . For inquiries related to Police Department Records, please contact: Palatka Police Department, 110 N. 11th Street, Palatka, FL 32177 (386)  329-0115  or

    Florida Public Records - Email Address Disclosure. Please be aware that, Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.  If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

    City of Palatka Fair Housing Advocate. The City of Palatka is committed to fair housing practices. If you believe you have experienced discrimination, you have the option to file a housing discrimination complaint using the following contact information: Toll-Free: (800) 669-9777 TTY: (800) 927-9275 Local Contact: City Manager - (386) 329-0100

    City of Palatka Equal Employment Opportunity Advocate. The City of Palatka promotes equal employment opportunities and discourages discrimination. If you have questions or concerns about equal employment opportunities or suspect discrimination, please reach out to the City's Human Resource Department at Phone:(386) 329-0100

    City of Palatka Section 504/ADA Compliance Advocate

    The City of Palatka is committed to compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you believe you have encountered discrimination in this regard, please contact the City's Human Resource Department by email Phone: (386) 329-0100

Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow